Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Vanishing Act




This morning I painted all three of the kids' rooms and the living room. During this Chloe came to show me something. She had a crystal light container and powder all over her mouth, hands, and shirt. My eyes must have lit up because Chloe quickly said "Dont spank me". I asked her if she got it on the couch, she said no. So I ran up stairs and there was a little drop on the couch. I sprayed it with a cleaner and then noticed a larger drop on the carpet. When I sprayed that area, a really large area of red appeared. I didn't realize that she had dumped a whole package of crystal lite into the carpet. I quickly soaked the area with every cleaner we had on hand. I tried to scrub it out but it was not coming up. I then called Heidi and told her to buy a carpet cleaner. She did and we tried that. The carpet cleaner was helpful but the carpet was still very much red. Heidi then called our friend, Kim, who has a brother who was a carpet cleaner. Kim told us to first rinse out any cleaners we had used before. We used our upright carpet cleaner with only water in it to do that. After that she told us to mix 1 part ammonium to 3 parts water. Take the mixture and soak the area that needs to be cleaned. Then place a towel over it and iron it. Press directly on the towel with a lot of force until you hear sizzling. The heat brings the dye up into the towel. I did that for a few hours and it came up. The picture above on the left is the after picture.

2 comments:

Lott said...

What a pain! Good job on figuring out how to get it up. Chloe sure knows how to play practical jokes.

Mindi said...

Yikes. Glad to hear you saved the carpet. Useful info for inevitable future carpet disasters in the Bennett household (we have an ocean of grey carpet in the house we are renting, the first night we were there Sierra puked and since she didn't remember where the bathroom was she puked through the whole house looking for it...I thought you might enjoy a lengthy comment about puke attached to this post).